Rationale: Since the inception of the General Board, the work of administering the “connection” has become significantly more complex. The relationship between AME, Inc. and the General Board is woefully nondescript. The ambiguity of sections of the Discipline and the opaque operation of AME, Inc. have created areas of conflict which need serious legislative and strategic attention. This is CRITICAL.
Proposal: 1. AME, Inc., in its present form, cannot be allowed broad administrative functions beyond the view and control of the Council of Bishops and the General Board. 2. We need clear avenues for a. regular reporting in the interim of the General Conference; b. protocols to communicate strategies and desired outcomes of actions; c. a clear, concise guide for what constitutes necessary, discrete, independent action by AME, Inc.
Over the coming months, we may modify the plan, but here is the process with which we will begin.
- There will be a posting of some general ideas on a subject. This may include goals and concepts for proposed legislation. A few days will be allowed for discussion and input.
- We will present a draft of legislation for review and discussion. Larger documents will be available by links. We will make an effort to keep the site tidy. We do not want to be distracted from the important task of thinking things through.
- Once the discussion has slowed on one topic, we will move to a new area for consideration. (We can always go back, if necessary.) Depending on the number of responses and proposed revisions, it should take 2-4 weeks to work through a primary issue.
- The point of this blog is to get rational feedback on possible legislation. Please be brief with responses. Although we have no intent to censor legitimate ideas, we are monitoring posts to minimize abuse.
- When we get to a final draft, the text will be forwarded to leadership and submitted for official consideration.
Thanks for visiting. If you have an interest in AME Church structure and legislation, prayerfully join the journey. The first area of consideration will be The General Board.
Welcome to the first post of my personal blog! Though I am known for passion and opinions, the posts (for this season) will not critique individuals or situations. This is not a forum to share our likes/dislikes about our denomination or its leaders. It is a platform to present ideas and processes for consideration by the AME Church public. The goal is to reform our administrative structure to be more efficient, effective and equitable rather than encumbered by politics and process. Our structure should enable, not frustrate, our mission of ministry. Moreover, the institution should not be an end in itself.
Through this blog, I hope to gather critical responses to proposals. Replies to correct and improve (or outright reject) ideas are welcome. Iron sharpens iron. We hinder our progress by not having enough conversations. Our conversations are not helpful if we talk without listening. We pray for discernment as we hear the Spirit through voices of faith and reason. Together, we can arrive at viable options for how to do church better.
While consensus on most matters will be nice, I am prepared to agree to disagree with love and respect. Ultimately, the decisions about the future organization of our Zion will be made by the voters in the General Conference. We can add to the wisdom of deliberations by offering rational assessments for some of the ideas floating around the connection. The statements found herein have no official authority. They reflect the personal opinions of the writers.
Pray for holy wisdom and guidance as we press on!